9.29.2008

Tales of the Dojo Origin: II –The Shinoda Years

Shinoda sensei was before my time, so what I got to know about the beginnings of the dojo were the stories told after practice around some orange juice or beer, depending on who was doing the talking. Shinoda was Japanese and this gave a particular flavor to how he ran the dojo. His goal was to set up a Shoreikan Dojo and do whatever it took to get there. From that initial group of kids that Kimo Wall was training, a half dozen or so were chosen to get a total immersion karate training, and that meant round the clock training that included sleeping over at the dojo. From this half dozen came what was to be the core of the future homegrown sensei: Fornaris, Palmer, González, Gandía, and Rodríguez, and maybe a few others. Shinoda taught the class as he was taught, in the strict Japanese and/or Okinawan fashion. The exercises and formal kata and bunkai training were meted out to take you to the limit, and then more. How Kimo fit into all this, I never got to know, but all my sensei considered him their sensei, so he must have exerted a greater influence than the stories let on. I know it was Kimo that spread the Dojo to the University system and to nearby towns, Caguas and San Lorenzo. But it was Shinoda who marked the psyche of the sensei at the time, especially Fornaris and Palmer. But, like I said, this was before my time. So what I experienced was the Shinoda effect: that all that went before was worse, much worse than anything I would experience. And also, that all who partook of the time were more real karateka for having endured it. Now I know that for what it truly is: the curse of the new practitioner; that all time past was somewhat more real, more authentic. Well, every art has its myths, and this is enduring karate lore. And for whatever it is worth, Tony Fornaris lived it to the core: he was my Shinoda, and I dreaded the days he would come by the Dojo (he wasn’t my official sensei, which was Gusi González, “the soft sensei”). Tony was built oriental: short, stocky, and from what I hear, was as short-tempered and intimidating as Shinoda. That does not mean that I didn’t love the man as I got to know him better through the years, even to the point of practicing with his 19 year old son, but I never stopped fearing him, and he never stopped making me feel like I knew absolutely nothing. No one ever knew what became of Shinoda, no one ever saw him again, stories and legends abound, sightings also. So I feel like I knew Shinoda, channeled through Tony Fornaris, one of the three sensei I learned under when I began; he gave me my green belt.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jorge, I can't remember how I landed on your site but I assure you it has brought out a lot of good memories!
You have certainly captured the "something special" happened at Ochoa during those years.
I was lucky enough to have trained under Shinoda,and it was a transforming experience...my life was never the same and I treasure the memories. I left the dojo shortly after Shinoda left and tried over the years to find another dojo, but nothing came even close to the majic of Ochoa.
I was right under Efrain, Tony and Gusi (they had green belts when i joined) and only got to a black tip on my brown belt...The training, the Sanchin ritual for the green belt, saturdays at the Dojo, practice after "everybody left", trips to el Yunke and eating seaweed rice balls for breakfast...WOW you have it in perfect detail!
ayear ago I was in P.R. and went to Efrain for some chiropratic work...we spent an hour reminiscing!
Thanks for the memories
Jorge Rodriguez
(there were two, the other one got the black belt)
A

Jorge Morales-Santo Domingo said...

Anonymous... would love to get some of your experiences under Shinoda, a very enigmatic figure (Did you read the "Gusi" post?) Glad you enjoyed the memories...Arigato

Anonymous said...

Shinoda was a great man, contrary to what you have heard, he left P.R. because he lost his work visa and was deported (I know this for a fact because my father was the lawyer trying to get the govt. to let him stay).
When I first joined the Dojo, Efrain ,Gusi and Jose DelCueto were the "best"...they were the most senior guy's and they had brown belts, Fornaris, Gandia, and the galisa bros were green etc...I recognized Gusi because he was the base player for the "Magistrales" a very popular band at the time.Efrain and him were always toghether, had long "cool" hair and were ALWAYS training.
Then one day it all changed, Efrain and Gusi showed up with a crew cut (unheard of in 1971) and announced full commitment to the dojo and the rest is history!
Shinoda was as caring and gentle as he was demanding he was also a prankster...if you demonstrated commitment to the respect and seriousness of the dojo (nobody taught you what that meant) you were "invited" to join the "inner circle" (nobody told you what that meant either) and then you were expected to lead by example...which meant you trained harder than anybody and you helped anyone who sought your help.
I failed my first green belt test because when I folded my top and put it to the side... I let it drop two inches to the floor. Sensei told me hat it was a lack of respect for the dojo and to myself and had to wait three months to get the chance again.
The Kimo and Shinoda thing was not talked about much...I always though Kimo resented Shinoda because everyone wanted to train at Ochoa. Shinoda was very compelling and if you ever saw both of them "move" you knew that Shinoda was a world apart better.
Once you reached green belt, the real education started, you did a full class with everyone and then another full class after they left. Then as brown belt you were allowed to do Bunkai, Shinoda would walk around and "coach" you on form and fitness.(I'll never forget Fornaris took a cheap shot at me and cut my lip after Shinoda had blown the whistle and I had relaxed my guard...that day I learned not to let my guard down).
My memory of training those years is transforming, what was demanded was , hard physical work, respect for your peers and respect for the dojo...and this was a state you arrived at, it wasn't taught and nobody explained it, but you knew when you had arrived because you got to hang out with Shinoda on week ends and that was priceless.
regards,
Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge Morales-Santo Domingo said...

To the "other" Jorge: Fascinating!

That "old school" training rings true as other pre-1980's experiences bear out. It was a bit more watered down when I reached Ochoa and has continued that trend ever since, or so it seems.
Thanks for your slant on things at the time. You should seriously think of expanding on your times in karate, fleshing it out so to speak. Just a suggestion.
Thanks again. Arigato